Communications & Office Associate (Part-time or Full-time)
Calvary Presbyterian Church is a progressive and vibrant congregation in an urban environment with convenient bus access (2515 Fillmore St, SF), but no onsite parking. In addition to our main weekly Sunday worship services and various seasonal worship services, Calvary hosts other types of events and promotes music concerts, book talks, volunteer opportunities, and community events surrounding topics and issues like food security, housing for all, racial and social justice/equity, women’s healthcare rights, and LGBTQ2SIA+ inclusion.
This position at Calvary Presbyterian Church will support regular communications, program and administrative project tasks in support of a wide range of Calvary ministries and events. It can be either a part-time or full-time position. It reports to the Senior Pastor & Head of Staff.
Work is expected to be done onsite at Calvary 3-4 days per week, with 1 day offsite allowable. Sundays are required on-site for our 10 am worship service. General Sunday hours will be 8:30am – 12pm, or occasionally later if we have an additional event after the service. If part-time, the work hours will be about 20 hours per week on average, with some weeks being slightly more or less.
The position has a starting salary range of $24-30 per hour, which could increase based on experience. For a part-time position, the salary will be at the higher end of the range, but there are no paid benefits offered except for sick leave. For a full-time position, the salary will be at the lower end of the range, but will include paid medical premiums and a few additional common employee benefits. For the health and safety of our congregation and unvaccinated infants, we require proof of vaccination.
As well as a resume, please send a cover letter addressing your most relevant qualifications to email@example.com. Please identify your interest in either the part-time or full-time position.
Communications Support (60%)
- Will work with current Digital Communications Manager to provide production support and some content creation. This includes doing research, promoting events, and coordinating with online and local vendors. Formats include, but are not limited to, website entries, posters, emails, video clips, banners, building signage, and direct mail.
- Will operate livestreaming equipment (i.e., PTZ cameras, OBS software) on Sundays and other occasional weekly events; light editing, captioning, and uploading of music and worship videos to YouTube
- Will assist in distributing content for social media (e.g., FB, IG, etc.)
- Will prepare and organize communications collateral (i.e., physical posters, cards, signage, stickers, etc.)
- Will be expected to organize various tasks and project plans via MS Office, Asana, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Canva
Will oversee and manage some office processes and equipment (e.g., large group copier, postage meter, folding machine); provide guidance or instruction documents as needed to train others.
Office Administrative Activities and Related Processes (40%)
- Schedule and organize third party events, maintain multiple event calendars, and help minimize scheduling conflicts. Assist in managing contracts and other administrative documentation.
- Print name tags or order badges for special events, -Sundays, or new Calvary leaders.
- May assist with planning and implementing modest staff celebrations (4-5x per year) or occasional staff outings (1-2x per year).
- Assist other Program Managers & Music Director with various office related tasks.
- Assist Chief Administrative Officer and Project Manager with various HR administrative tasks.
Qualifications & Expectations
- Proficiency in organizing information and coordinating across multiple staff in a collaborative and dynamic environment with colleagues with diverse skills and backgrounds.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, proofing and editing skills, and strong command of the English language required due to document creation and review responsibilities.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, Adobe Suite, and Canva; experience with project management tools (e.g., Asana) and contact databases (e.g., Constant Contact) ideal.
- Experience in video editing in Adobe Premier or similar video editing software. Related experience in setting up and managing live streaming events and equipment (e.g., cameras, mics, audio, etc.) is a plus.
- 2-5 years related experience beyond high school graduation is minimum required.
- Self-motivated and able to work and make some decisions with limited supervision.
- Front of house hospitality experience and maturity is helpful.
- Prior experience in a church or a non-profit is also helpful.
Ability to lift, carry, and move 25 pounds on your own due to office supplies responsibilities.
Facilities Supervisor (Full-time)
In this role, you will help a 650-member congregation manage a 125-year-old building complex at 2515 Fillmore Street in San Francisco. This position will help with the delivery of facility services for programs and events, oversee some and help manage the opening, closing, and operations of the building. Additional duties include some vendor contacts and relationships, emergency preparedness tasks, as well as general program support to staff Project Managers, Program Directors and church staff and lay leadership.
Standard work week is usually 5 days, 40 hours per week; some overtime may be necessary. There will be a need for some Saturday or Sunday shifts a couple of times a month (see example below). The position is classified as ‘non-exempt’ and overtime is paid. The position reports to the Facilities Manager.
Typical days and hours are illustrated below (assuming a 30-minute lunch break), but subject to organizational needs and your personal commitments:
Mon: 8:30 am – 5 pm
Tue – Thurs: 1:30 pm – 10 pm
Sat: Off, or 9:30 am – 6 pm
Sun: Off, or 7:30 am – 4 pm
We offer a kind, but busy, work environment in a convenient, bus accessible location (2515 Fillmore St, SF), full benefits, and compensation in the range of $24-30 per hour ($36-45 per hour for overtime) depending on experience. Compensation includes a complete benefits package (e.g., paid medical coverage, sick leave, vacation leave, and paid holidays, plus a retirement plan contribution).
Facility & Event Management (80%)
- Participate in planning and other pre-event coordination and communication activities
- Oversee and participate in the opening and closing of the building, including responding to building alarms and emergencies
- Implement light building maintenance, event set-up, and takedown tasks; assist guests with basic knowledge of on-site AV equipment
- Perform routine, repetitive daily inspections and maintenance necessary for building exterior, interior, and other equipment
- Serve as Front Desk – Front of House Manager during open building hours and for certain events
- With Facility Manager, coordinate vendors and suppliers to meet Calvary performance and expense needs
- Will occasionally answer telephones or take messages, and provide callers or visitors with general information about events or church calendar
- Be aware of and assist in compliance with relevant safety regulations and standards
- Assist in coordinating with any volunteer resources with lay leaders (e.g., garden or maintenance activities)
- Assist and support Project Managers & other staff with event coordination, signage, set-up and take-down needs
Program & Administrative Support (20%)
- Use facility & project management software (e.g., FMX, Asana) as directed to track facility tasks, document results and coordinate work with other staff
- Use Microsoft Office, or equivalent, products to communicate with email, review data, and document work tasks
- Manage/participate in special projects as requested
- Gather and manage cash and other financial donations at worship offerings and some third party events
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities, Qualifications
- Some related experience in facility and office operations
- Must have command of the English language, and ability to listen and follow-through on instructions under deadlines
- Friendly, welcoming personality used to greet and direct visitors and church members; ability to work with a range of visitors and personalities
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, be attentive to details, and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated communication, interpersonal, organizational, and problem-solving skills; must show initiative in communicating work needs and tasks in a timely manner to all relevant parties
- Some proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of products and ability to understand and work with databases (e.g., FMX); other useful computer or A/V experience welcomed
- Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds required for moving furniture, office and building supplies
How to Apply: Please email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are a church with limited resources, so we will only reply to email addresses in your cover letter if we would like to schedule a follow-up conversation or if we have decided not to move forward. If you have not heard from us, it likely means we have not made a decision yet, as sometimes churches move slowly. We look forward to hearing from you!
Christian Educator for Youth (Part-time)
Calvary Presbyterian Church in San Francisco is looking for a part-time Christian Educator for middle school and high school youth, grades 6th through 12th. In this position, the Christian Educator will work closely with the Associate Pastor for Community Formation (AP) to develop and implement programs and build relationships with the youth of our community.
On Sundays, they will welcome and greet youth and adult volunteers to worship, lead middle school and high school Sunday School programs with the help of volunteers, and occasionally help teach confirmation class. They will help plan and lead opportunities for service and fellowship beyond Sunday morning and help coordinate and lead a short-term summer mission trip.
Qualifications for this position include the ability to actively engage students through teaching and conversation; the ability to engage with families, parents, and volunteers; excellent communication and relational skills; and strong organizational skills to plan and calendar out youth programs in advance.
Calvary Presbyterian Church is a progressive and vibrant congregation in an urban environment with convenient bus access (2515 Fillmore St, SF). This position is for 10 hours a week with an hourly rate of $35 per hour. There are no benefits offered except for sick leave. For the health and safety of our congregation and unvaccinated infants, we require proof of vaccination.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Sunday Mornings (8:30am – 12:30pm)
- Presence and occasional leadership for Confirmation Class (held during the program year on Sundays from 9 – 9:45am)
- AP can provide curriculum for Confirmation
- Greet and Welcome adult volunteers and youth to worship (10:00am)
- Worship with youth in the balcony
- Alternate leadership for middle school and high school Sunday School Programs following the sermon
- Occasionally host fellowship lunch and service opportunities after worship and youth gatherings (11:30am – 12:30pm)
- Presence and occasional leadership for Confirmation Class (held during the program year on Sundays from 9 – 9:45am)
- Tuesday Afternoons Preferred, but Time and Day Negotiable (1:00pm – 4:00pm)
- Record & upload data on attendance and other youth records
- Attend staff meetings on Tuesdays at 2:30pm
- Meet with AP to check in and plan
- Send Communication and Emails to youth families and volunteers
- Invite and encourage a young person to lead worship as a liturgist once a month
- Plan and Prepare Summer Mission Trip with AP
- Flex Day (3 hours/week)
- Attend and Lead youth service and fellowship opportunities
- Build relationships with youth and families by attending school performances, games, inviting different grades to an activity, etc.
- Summer Mission Trips (6 full days in the summer, comp days will be provided during the summer)
- Organize and help plan the youth mission trip
- Coordinate logistics and communication with the site and youth families
Attend and lead the Youth Mission Trip (usually the 3rd week of July)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES, QUALIFICATIONS:
- Energy, love, and compassion for young people
- Ability to lead and implement curriculum for youth
- An engaging and welcoming attitude
- A basic understanding of reformed faith and theology
- Strong organizational skills, particularly to plan and calendar ahead
- Strong communication skills
- Basic computer skills and the ability to learn the planning software of the organization (Asana, Planning Center, Arena, Google Docs & Sheets, etc.)
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your cover letter and resume as PDF attachments to email@example.com. Only emails with PDF attachments and covers letters will be considered.
- Calvary’s Mission, Vision, & Values Statement: CalPres_Mission-Vision-Values
- Children, Youth, and Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy and Agreement: CPC-Child-Youth-Vulnerable-Adult-Protection-Policy-and-Agreement